Monday 25 June 2012

TEEN: Widdershins 2: False Covenant - Ari Marmell

Release Date: 26/06/12  
BOOK BLURB:  
A creature of the other world, an unnatural entity bent on chaos and carnage, has come to stalk the nighttime streets of the Galicien city of Davillon. There's never a good time for murder and panic, but for a community already in the midst of its own inner turmoil, this couldn't possibly have come at a worse one. Not for Davillon, and not for a young thief who calls herself Widdershins. It's been over half a year since the brutal murder of Archbishop William de Laurent during his pilgrimage to Davillon. And in all that time, Widdershins has truly tried her best. She's tried to take care of Genevieve's tavern and tried to make a semihonest living in a city slowly stagnating under the weight of an angry and disapproving Church. She's tried to keep out of trouble, away from the attentions of the Davillon Guard and above the secrets and schemes of the city's new bishop. But she's in way over her head, with no idea which way to turn. The Guard doesn't trust her. The Church doesn't trust her. Her own Thieves' Guild doesn't trust her. Too bad for everyone, then, that she and her personal god, Olgun, may be their only real weapon against a new evil like nothing the city has ever seen.  

REVIEW:  
To be honest with you I was left feeling confused and a little cheated with Ari’s previous title in this series so when the second landed it wasn’t one that I was prepared for to start straight away as I felt that I was never fully sure of the characters mental stability with her relationship with her personal god, Olgun. Don’t get me wrong Ari does present a solid fantasy title but when I’m still left questioning sanity as a reader it really doesn’t help me immerse within the world or really get to like the principle player but putting that aside I thought that I’d best give it a go. Whilst for me, this title is an improvement on the previous outing its still not a fantasy that is top of my reading pile as I felt a lot of the cliché’s that have existed for years were played upon within. It was a solidly crafted tale but it wasn’t one for me that made it stand on its own two feet for me as a reader. That said, the villain was delicious and Ari really knows what he’s doing to keep you reading but all in when I don’t like the lead character I’m left feeling lukewarm to the writing. A great shame all in as this could have been something spectacular. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment